Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Irony and Tone

Irony:
  1. Verbal -- someone says something different than what she actually means.
  2. Situational -- a situation turns out very differently than what is expected.
  3. Dramatic -- the audience knows more than the characters.
Why does Wiesel use irony in his novel?  What purpose does it serve? How does it impact your understanding of the events in the story?

Tone:

Examine the following passage from the novel (p. 34).  How does this passage represent the scope of change in Elie's religious belief?  What are the crisis points for Elie in regards to his religion?  Examine and note this thread as we move through the novel.


     Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, that turned my life into one long night seven times sealed.
     Never shall I forget that smoke.
     Never shall I forget the small faces of the children whose bodies I saw transformed into smoke under a silent sky.
     Never shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever.
     Never shall I forget the nocturnal silence that deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live.
     Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to ashes.
     Never shall I forget those things, even were I condemned to live as long as God Himself.
     Never.

No comments:

Post a Comment